Some elderly people gradually become less socially involved and less physically active as they age as a result of sickness, injury, or other factors of aging. As stated by the National Institute on Aging, the ensuing feelings of loneliness can result in greater physical and mental risks, such as hypertension, obesity, anxiety, depression, and cognitive loss.
Fortunately, those who find themselves increasingly isolated or whose levels of activity are falling have the option of receiving companion care, which may be of great assistance. Continue reading to find out what companion care is, who it might benefit from, how to locate companion care, and other relevant information.
What Exactly Is Meant by Companion Care?
The Department of Labor defines a companion as “somebody who offers help for an elderly person or disabled younger child by providing ‘fellowship,'” which suggests engaging them in interpersonal, physiological, or mental activities.
The companion could also assist the individual with daily activities, such as bathing or dressing, but the majority of their time is spent either keeping the client company or ensuring that they are safe in their own home.
Companions are not required to have any specialized training or certification, but those who home care firms hire may be given instruction in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Home care companies are often under regulation by the government, and there may be requirements pertaining to training that are unique to your area of the country. In addition, several home care firms may offer specific training on topics such as dementia to their staff members.
Family members or customers who hire independent companions can take the first shifts when companions work with them to ensure that the companions understand what is expected of them, along with the routines of the client and what should be done in the event of an emergency.
Despite the fact that the specific duties of a companion are determined by the preferences and requirements of the individual client, there are a few activities that a companion may carry out, including the following:
- Light cleaning
- Transporting the customer to their scheduled appointments or other errands
- Providing the opportunity for dialogue and friendship
- Assist in bathing
- Performing errands on the client’s behalf
- Walking or exercising with clients and providing assistance when necessary
What are the Advantages of Having Companion Care?
Companionship for elders has a number of advantages, the most important of which is that it enhances the seniors’ quality of life. Companionship is more than providing care for an elderly person; it’s a mutually beneficial relationship that helps seniors thrive. On a social scale, the ability to talk about difficulties, express pain, and seek support to overcome problems is made possible for those who have friends and companions.
On a more personal level, a superb companion is somebody that the senior enjoys going out and doing things with but can depend on to be there for them in times of need. Concerns that might seem insignificant to younger generations, such as going to the supermarket or finding transit to and from a doctor’s appointment, can cause significant anxiety for persons in their later years. The ability to focus on quality life is made possible for elderly people when they have someone to share their worries and burdens with.
For seniors, having a senior companion can result in longer and healthier life and an improvement in their overall wellness. When we are by ourselves, we are more likely to suffer from mental health issues and increase our chance of developing dementia. Despair and the loss of the desire to live are two conditions that have been linked to a lack of ambition, which also exists.
Isolation is a form of punishment that is reserved for the most dangerous offenders. Companionship is of utmost significance for elderly people since it is the fuel that provides purpose back into their lives, which, in turn, brings about a willingness to perform additional tasks.
Which Types of Companion Care Are Available to Choose From?
- Live-in Companion Care- It’s provided by a companion who lives with the patient and is typically offered by a home care agency. It requires one or more people to work in shifts of twenty-four hours continuously. This category of assistance is perfect for enabling seniors to continue living in their own homes for as long as possible. It typically encompasses a wide range of assistance, from preparing meals and cleaning the home to bathing and transport to medical appointments.
- Hospice Care- Care provided by a hospice companion can take many different forms and is provided by hospices throughout. Volunteers pay regular visits to a hospice and offer their assistance there. It’s possible that a hospice volunteer will do errands or provide transportation for the elderly person. Additionally, Hospice offers personal care assistance in the form of Home Health Aids as well as respite care visits. A dynamic institution, hospice has other senior companions such as social workers, pastors, and nurses on staff.
- Religious Based Care- Companion care with a religious focus is typically provided by a large number of religious organizations, including Christian companion care, Catholic companion care, and a variety of others. If the elder was a member of a religious community in their lifetime, the search should begin with that community. People with whom you have history make for wonderful companions. If not, the vast majority of religious organizations are pleased to be of assistance, and many religious organizations that do not adhere to a specific denomination are also available.
Is Companion Care Available in Fairfax?
Companions for seniors are not difficult to come by in most thriving populations. In communities with a smaller population, the job of a senior companion may be filled by a number of different persons, including neighbors, acquaintances, friends from church, and even paid assistance from a care provider. There are other national groups that offer senior citizens the company of volunteers in the form of companions.
Vitality and Reliable Personal Care Companion Care Service Agency in Fairfax and Virginia are comparable to having your very own personal assistant. They will spend their time with your family member, helping them clean up, bringing out the garbage or recycle bin, or simply spending time with them, reading a book or playing a game. Just book an appointment if you want to learn more about companion care benefits.